8 cabbage (leaves)
12 ozs lean ground beef (can use turkey)
1/3 cup chopped onion (I prefer Vidalia)
1 clove minced garlic
1 ¼ cups water
7 ½ ozs diced tomatoes (I use Muir Glen Fire flavor- do not drain)
½ cup quinoa
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
15 ozs tomato sauce (I use Muir Glen- it the can)
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp dried basil
salt to taste
1) Immerse 4 cabbage leaves at a time into boiling water for about 3 minutes or until limp.
2) Drain leaves, and dry on a towel.
3) In a large pan sautee meat, onions and garlic until brown.
4) Drain excess liquid from meat and add water, tomatoes- undrained, quinoa-uncooked, Worchestershire sauce, oregano and pepper.
5) Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until quinoa is soft.
6) Place 1/3 cup of meat mixture onto each cabbage leaf.
7) Fold in the sides of the leaves.
8) Roll up cabbage leaves starting at the unfolded edge, make sure to folded sides are included in the roll.
9) In a small bowl mix tomato sauce, sugar and salt if desired.
10) Cover the bottom of a baking dish with half of the sauce.
11) Place rolls with seam down on top of sauce.
12) Cover rolls with remaining sauce.
13) Bake 350 for 25-30 minutes
Serves: 4 (2 rolls)
Calories: 290 calories